To transform Shai-Osudoku District from an Economically-Deprived to a Viable District Where there are Prospects for Gainful Employment.
The Shai-Osudoku District Assembly Exists to Create the Enabling Environment for the Provision of Services for the Total Development of the District in Collaboration with all Stakeholders.
The Core Values of the Assembly include Accountability, Transparency, Creativity, Diligence, Discipline; Equity, Integrity, Innovativeness; Timeliness and Client-Oriented,
The District Assembly is required to perform all the functions conferred on District Assemblies by the Local Governance Act (2016), Act 936 and the Legislative Instrument (LI) 2137 of 2012 that established the District.
These functions are summarised as follows:
1) Exercise of political and administrative authority in the District,
- Promote local economic development,
- Provide guidance, give direction to and supervise other administrative authorities in the District as may be prescribed by law,
2) Exercise deliberative, legislative and executive functions,
3) Responsible for overall development of the District, formulate and execute plans, programmes and strategies for the effective mobilisation of the resources necessary for overall development of the District,
- Promote and support productive activity and social development in the District and remove any obstacles to initiative and development,
- Support the education of students from the District to fill particular manpower needs of the District especially in the social sectors of education and health, making sure that the sponsorship is fairly and equitably balanced between male and female students,
- Initiate programmes for the development of basic infrastructure and provide municipal works and services in the District,
- Responsible for the development, improvement and management of human settlements and the environment in the District,
- Co-operate with appropriate national and local security agencies and be responsible for the maintenance of security and public safety in the District,
- Ensure ready access to courts in the District for the promotion of justice,
- Act to preserve and promote the cultural heritage within the District,
- Initiate, sponsor or carry out studies that may be necessary for the discharge any of the duties conferred by the Act,
4) Taking steps to execute approved development plans for the District
- Guide, encourage and support Sub-district local structures, public agencies and local communities to perform their functions in the execution of approved development plans,
- Initiate and encourage joint participation with other persons or bodies to execute approved development plans;
- Promote or encourage other persons or bodies to undertake projects under approved development plans,
- Monitor the execution of projects under approved development plans and assess and evaluate their impact on the development of the District and the national economy in accordance with government policy
5) Co-ordinate, integrate and harmonise the execution of the programmes and projects under approved development plans for the District and other development programmes promoted or carried out by Ministries, Departments, Public Corporations and other statutory bodies and Non-Governmental Organisations in the District.
6) Act in co-operation with appropriate public corporation, statutory body or Non-Governmental Organisations.
7) Public Corporations, Statutory Bodies and Non-Government Organisations shall co-operate with District Assembly in the performance of their functions
8) In the event of conflict between the District Assembly and an agency of Central Government, Public Corporation and Statutory body, Non-Government Organisation or individual over the application of subsections 5,6 or 7, the matter shall be referred to the Regional Co-ordinating Council for resolution.
9) Carryout and execute specific provisions of the Criminal Offences Act,1960.